Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Shaking Cue Stick Club

A story aout four friends who wont let Parkinson's disease or stroke get in the way of some serious fun.

Now this was a story I had a blast writing. I interviewed these four feisty old men who are determined to lead full lives despite their serious health conditions.

Midway through the very serious interview one of them said to me, "You know that one of the side effects of Parkinson's includes having an erection for up to 4 hours or longer, right?"

“Really?” was all I could muster. I was caught completely off guard. I didn’t recall reading anything about erections and Parkinson’s in the course of my research prior to the interview.

And then they started laughing, loudly. Rolling on the floor laughing. It took me a few seconds to realize I’d been had. Imagine pulling a reporter’s leg! Seventy plus and with a fantastic sense of humor to boot! Ha ha ha.


Every Tuesday, three men with Parkinson’s disease (PD) and a recovering stroke patient meet for lunch, followed by an interesting and often comical game of pool. They call themselves the Shaking Cue Stick Club or more hilariously, the Shakers and the Shufflers...
Read the story
here.

No comments: