Sunday, July 30, 2006

Feature: A Birth Mother and Adoptive Mother tell their Stories

Since Adoption was going to be the cover story for the July-August 2006 issue of Health, I wanted to interview a birth mother and an adoptive mother of the same child, just to lend it that special touch and give readers more perspective and insight into the special relationship they may share if it's an Open Adoption.

Also, I wanted to break the stereotype most people have in their minds that birth mothers are heartless and selfish. Nothing can be further than the truth, for in giving up their child for adoption, they really make the ultimate sacrifice. It's really true love that motivates them to give their child up for adoption, just so that the child can be assured of a safe, loving, happy future.

Luckily for me I found two fabulous ladies who agreed to speak to me. Rachel was the birth mother and Lisa the adoptive mother of the same child. They spoke honestly, straight from the heart and both got very emotional when they recalled the whole process.

It's very unusual for me to feel emotional and moved when I'm interviewing people for stories, but I had a big lump in my throat the whole time I interviewed these two very special ladies. They are just such wonderful examples of courageous, wise women and I really feel priveleged to have been able to tell their story.

No comments: